Packing function made in dynamic conditions for rotating pumps or turning machines, and in static conditions for valves or taps, is ensured particularly by a compressed braid in a stuffing box. Joint packing is a deformable material which must prevent or control fluid passing between surfaces in relative movement, one towards the other.
- Rotating and alternatives pumps, in general turning machines
- Valves and taps
Raw materials used
- Para-aramid / viscose
- Carbone / Inconel
To make these braids, Schappe offers a wide range of dry or coated yarns, depending on the conditions of utilization. Generally, the choice of components will result from the following requirements :
- Mechanical resistance
- Temperature resistance
- Thermal conductivity
- Lowest friction coefficient
- Chemical inertia
- Lowest dilation coefficient
The fibrous structure of Schappe spun yarns is perfectly suited for these type of applications for several reasons :
- The ability for coating the braid is improved. Water-proofing is then better and the friction between the braid and the shaft is decreased.
- The elastic behaviour of the braid is increased which contributes to ensure a better packing.
- The possibility to mix different types of fibres.